Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Nieve discards leadership role













With Igor Antón mysteriously out of shape and seemingly out of contention, one would assume that Mikel Nieve, 14th overall going into stage six, would take on the role of team captain. The rider himself though is having none of it. "I don't consider myself as Euskaltel's leader for the general classification", he told the Vuelta's own website post-stage. "In the last week a lot of riders will pay for the efforts in the first week and we've only just begun. Igor Antón will improve." Speaking of today's stage which saw him stay with the main GC candidates on the vicious gradients on the climb in Valdepeñas de Jáen, the unassuming rider stated the obvious: "It's too explosive for me. I lacked the 'spark', but overall I felt good throughout the day."

No comments:

 

web site counter
ISP Internet Providers