Wednesday, November 23, 2011

"I want to retire here"











Despite the off-road travails facing his team, Samuel Sánchez is unequivocal in his stance: he wants to stay for life. He told BiciCiclismo as much at the team's pre-season camp in Derio yesterday.

"I've always said this is where I want to end my career. As I'm turning 34 in three months time, retirement is something I'm thinking more and more about", he admitted. "I feel a deep affection for the team, for Miguel (Madariaga), for everything that makes this team what it is. That's why I hope to retire here. Euskaltel deserve that - they gave me the chance to ride my bike for a living. Ending my career here would be my tribute to the team".

Despite apparently giving retirement a lot of thought, the Olympic champ is not planning to hang up the wheels anytime soon though.

"As I've said time and time again: I'll ride my bike as long as I like doing it. The day training becomes a struggle and results elude me, it'll be time to say goodbye. As long as I'm motivated and healthy I'll keep going. The 2014 Worlds in Ponferrada would be a nice experience, but I'll only stay on if I feel fit and competitive."

2 comments:

Stephen said...

He always seems such a nice guy, lets hope that the team can continue at least as long as he does.

Magnus said...

Yeah, fingers crossed!

 

web site counter
ISP Internet Providers