Thursday, March 15, 2012

Izagirre already set for 2013 Tirreno

Jon Izagirre added further proof of his potential with a creditable 16th place overall at Tirreno-Adriatico recently. The 23-year-old loved every minute of the race - and is already looking forward to next year's edition.


"I really liked Tirreno-Adriatico", he told El Diario Vasco. "It had long climbs, short climbs, hard climbs, long stages, circuit races, time trials... I love that kind of race. I was planning on being in good shape and I achieved that. I'm looking forward to returning next year", he enthused.

Despite looking adept at the climbs and relatively comfy on his time trial bike, the Ormaiztegi native admitted he's still not at the peak of his powers.

"I'm feeling good coming out of this race, but perhaps I'm missing some racing kilometres to be in even better shape. I'm happy with how I fared, but I always want more"

The youngster eventually finished up 3:01 down on overall winner Vincenzo Nibali. He ceded 1:25 in the opening day team time trial, but is reluctant to dwell on what might have been.

"Speculation like that doesn't help - we knew that stage was on the program. The best thing was that I felt much better than I did at this time in 2011, even though I can still improve on the ascents. I'm motivated for the upcoming Milan-San Remo; I'm keen to do well there".

Izagirre will line up at la Classicissima on Saturday in the company of Txurruka, Martínez, Urtasun, Verdugo, Oroz, R Pérez and Landa. The classic is the longest professional one-day race on the calendar, but Izagirre is not fazed.

"Worried? I just did a 250km stage in Tirreno-Adriatico. We'll see how it goes, but I spent seven and a half hours in the saddle one day in Tirreno. The favourite? That'll have to be Cavendish - he's looking stronger than last year".

Next up for Izagirre post-San Remo is the cobbled classics. The GP E3 Prijs Vlaanderen-Harelbeke, Gent-Wevelgem, Ronde van Vlaanderen and Paris-Roubaix all figure on his calendar, while he'll later prepare for his maiden GT, the Giro d'Italia, by taking part in the Vuelta a Castilla y León.

2 comments:

Nick said...

I'm really excited to see what he can do in the Giro.

Hoping he can pick the right break for a victory or be this year's Giro revelation like Kriujswik (sp?) last year.

Magnus said...

(It's Kruijswijk if I'm not mistaken - but you were close)

I think he's definitely a good bet for a stage win, but I'm not so sure about his GC ambitions just yet as his climbing on long, GC-like mountains leaves something to be desired

 

web site counter
ISP Internet Providers