Wednesday, April 11, 2012

"I don't know if I'll return to Roubaix"
















Despite proving his mettle on the cobbles with his courageous and strong ride at Gent-Wevelgem last month and by reaching the velodrome in Paris-Roubaix last Sunday, young Jon Izagirre isn't too enticed at the idea of returning next year. The pain makes it a rather unattractive proposition for the Ormaiztegi-native.

"I suffered a lot", he told Deia. "It was very hard. My hands, my arms... everything was hurting. I got angry. I only started to get excited once we were within five kilometres of the velodrome. Then I started to recall how I used to watch this race on the TV when I was a child. But no, it was not an enjoyable experience. I'm not sure I'll go back".

The youngest of the Izagirre brothers has posted his best results on hilly terrain so far in his career and doesn't appear to be cut out for the cobbled classics if his slender physique is anything to go by. His DS on the pavé this spring, former sprinter Iñaki Isasi, is therefore even more impressed with his young charge.

"Instead of hiding from the challenges, he rises up and confronts them. He grows on these kind of challenges", he said. "In this manner he's managed to complete Paris-Roubaix among taller and stronger riders".

The Giro d'Italia forms the centerpiece of Izagirre's first half of the season.

No comments:

 

web site counter
ISP Internet Providers