Friday, February 15, 2013

Barbero - I'd like to improve my sprint















He might not be Basque, but for years he's been touted as one of the next big things coming out of Spain's cycling hotbed and a future Euskaltel star in the making. Burgos-born Carlos Barbero has for the last four years been given his cycling education under the Fundación Euskadi's umbrella, riding two years for Naturgas Energía before taking the step up to Orbea and debuting in the pro ranks last year.

The 21-year-old enjoyed an equally solid and unspectacular 2012 season, his best results being second and fifth on stages in Portuguese stage-race GP Internacional Torres Vedras - Joaquim Agostinho. Speaking after making his season debut at the Challenge Mallorca, Barbero reflected on his first year among the big guys.

"My first year was better than expected", he told Sprint Especial. "Granted, going from the amateur ranks to the professional ranks is a big move, but I felt good all year round and managed to be consistent. You always want a little bit more, but in general I'm happy".

Thus far in his career he's mostly made a name for himself in smaller-sized bunch sprints, and that's also where he'll be looking to improve in 2013.

"I'd like to become an even better sprinter - you have to build on what you're already good at", he said. "If you have a strong side it's important to exploit it to stand out from the rest".

Barbero didn't succeed in showcasing his fast-twitch muscle fibres on Mallorca with 20th on day one being his best result, and he's got a job on his hands to make the switch to Euskaltel in the future now that Euskaltel and the Fundación Euskadi's relationship is up in the air. The Equipo Euskadi rider doesn't necessarily see the break-up as a bad thing, though.

"To be honest I don't think it'll close any doors", he said. "I think people will notice you if you do well and show your worth. What's more, I think it might make us more competitive and make us try harder".

Photo: La Fundación Euskadi

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I simply could not depart your web site prior to suggesting that I actually enjoyed
the standard information an individual provide on
your guests? Is gonna be again frequently to check up on new posts

My webpage :: 2nd loan mortgage

Anonymous said...

This is a topic that is close to my heart... Many thanks!
Where are your contact details though?

My webpage attention deficit disorder

Anonymous said...

Howdy would you mind letting
me know which web host you're utilizing? I've
loaded your blog in 3 different web browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot faster then most.


Can you recommend a good hosting provider at a honest
price? Thank you, I
appreciate it!

Take a look at my web page ... West Hartford Connecticut Real Estate

 

web site counter
ISP Internet Providers